Scranton Jackknife Truck Accident Lawyer
Being next to a big rig on the freeway can be scary. After all, these long semi trucks are prone to jackknifing. A jackknife accident occurs when a truck folds in on itself at a 90-degree angle. The trailer swings into the cab, pushing the cab to one side. When the cab is pushed around to face backwards, it looks like a pocket knife, hence the name jackknife.
Jackknifing typically is the result of a faulty braking system due to lack of maintenance or poor driving. Indeed, braking hard and fast can lock up the truck axles. This causes the tractor-trailer to continue to move, pressing into the cab and causing it to fold into itself.
In many cases, jackknife accidents may involve nearby passenger vehicles. When a car collides with a semi truck, the car could flip over or catch fire due to the impact. This can lead to devastating injuries or fatalities.
Involved in a truck accident? You could be suffering from long-term injuries. Needle Law Firm can assess your case and help you get the compensation you deserve. Contact a Scranton jackknife truck accident lawyer today to learn more.
Causes of Jackknife Accidents
Jackknife truck accidents can be caused by the following:
- Dangerous weather conditions. Ice and rain can cause a truck to lose traction and skid, causing a jackknife.
- When a truck is going too fast, it takes longer to slow down. A truck driver may apply the brakes too quickly and cause the truck to jackknife.
- Faulty brakes. Defective brakes can make it harder to slow down, which means the driver may try to apply the brakes too quickly.
- Distracted driving. When a driver is distracted, they may not see hazards up ahead until it is too late. Then they will brake too quickly and cause a jackknife.
- When a driver is too tired, their reactions may be delayed. They may overcorrect by braking too quickly and causing a jackknife accident.
Common Jackknife Accident Injuries
A jackknife accident can cause a variety of injuries, including the following:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injury
- Back or neck injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Internal bleeding
These injuries may require extensive medical treatment. Many are long-term and can affect a person for the rest of their life. Contact a lawyer to assess your claim and understand the next steps. You may be able to receive compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, disability, pain and suffering, loss of companionship, loss of enjoyment of life, and more.
Contact Needle Law Firm Today
Any type of truck accident can lead to significant damages and injuries. A jackknife accident can happen suddenly, though, and be very dangerous to nearby vehicles.
Seek compensation for your injuries from the Scranton jackknife truck accident lawyers at Needle Law Firm. Let us assist you with your claim. Schedule a free consultation by calling our office at (570) 344-1266 or filling out the online form.