Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Scranton Personal Injury Lawyer > Hit & Run Accident

Scranton Hit & Run Accident Lawyer

When a person is involved in an accident, they are supposed to stop and remain at the accident scene. It’s the law.

However, some motorists don’t follow this law. They flee the accident scene for a variety of reasons, leaving behind injured victims. These victims are left without medical help and often die from their injuries.

Dealing with a hit and run accident can be complicated in many ways. What do you do when you cannot locate the at-fault driver? How do you get the medical help you need? Contact Needle Law Firm to learn more about the process. Speak to a Scranton hit & run accident lawyer today.

Why Do Drivers Flee the Accident Scene?

There are several main reasons why drivers may refuse to remain at the accident scene after a crash:

  • They don’t have insurance. Under Pennsylvania law, drivers are required to have a minimum of $15,000 for bodily injury per person, $30,000 for bodily injury per accident, and $5,000 for property damage per accident. If a driver is caught without insurance, they can face fines and license suspension, so they may take their chances and flee the accident scene.
  • They don’t have a valid license. A person who is driving with a suspended driver’s license or no license at all will often flee the accident scene to avoid getting caught.
  • They are intoxicated. A person who is under the influence of drugs or alcohol does want to get a DUI charge, so they will flee the scene.
  • They have a warrant for their arrest. If a driver is wanted for another crime, they want to stay away from police.

What Options Do You Have? 

Pennsylvania is one of a dozen states with no-fault insurance. What this means is that each driver uses their own auto insurance to pay for damages they suffer in a crash, regardless of who caused the crash. This means that you don’t have to worry about finding the other driver in order to receive compensation for your damages. You would file a claim with your insurance company. This cuts down on the need to file a lawsuit, although a person may choose to do so if they suffered catastrophic injuries and have ongoing expenses.

No-fault coverage only applies to medical expenses. Property damage is covered through property damage liability protection or collision insurance. If you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, that will pay for the damages as well. Your insurance company can help you understand what coverages you have.

Contact Needle Law Firm Today

A hit and run accident comes with financial and legal implications. If you have been a victim, make sure you understand your legal options.

Don’t leave money on the table. Contact the Scranton hit & run accident lawyers at Needle Law Firm today and see how we can help. To schedule a free consultation, call (570) 344-1266 or fill out the online form. 

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
MileMark Media

© 2021 - 2024 Needle Law Firm. All rights reserved.
This law firm website and legal marketing are managed by MileMark Media.