Honesdale Personal Injury Lawyer
Accidents happen in Honesdale all the time and when they are a result of another person’s thoughtlessness, you deserve compensation for your injuries and other losses. To successfully claim the full compensation you deserve, there are certain steps you should take to protect your claim. Just as there are certain things you should do after an accident, there are also certain things you may want to avoid. Taking certain actions could work against you and hurt your claim instead of helping it.
Important Steps to Take After an Accident
Regardless of whether you were hurt in a car crash, slip and fall, or other type of accident, there are certain steps you should take after an accident. These include:
- Seek medical attention: The most important thing to do after any accident is to see a doctor, even if you do not think you were injured. Seeking medical treatment immediately after any accident will ensure your injuries do not become any worse. Also, seeing a doctor will ensure the nature and severity of your injuries are documented, so the insurance company cannot dispute them.
- Take pictures of the accident scene: Photographs can clearly show how the accident happened. You can use these to refute claims from the liable party that they are not liable for paying damages so you claim the full settlement you deserve.
- Locate witnesses: If anyone saw the accident occur, locate them and ask them for their contact information. Your lawyer will use this as important evidence when filing your claim.
- File a report: The report you file will depend on the type of accident you were involved in. For example, if you were hurt in a car crash, you make sure a police report is filed. On the other hand, if you were hurt in a grocery store, the owner may ask you to fill out an incident report. Regardless of the type of report you file, make sure you obtain a copy of it.
- Contact a lawyer: Filing a personal injury claim is rarely easy. A Honesdale personal injury lawyer will help you through the process so you obtain the maximum compensation you deserve.
Things Not to Do After an Accident
Taking certain steps after any accident can actually hurt your claim and result in a reduction of damages. Firstly, you should never apologize for the accident or say that you were to blame. The insurance company will use this against you and you may not be able to claim any compensation at all.
Additionally, you should never provide a recorded statement to the insurance company, as they will take your words out of context and use them against you. Lastly, never accept a settlement offer without first speaking to an attorney. Insurance companies rarely offer a fair settlement right away but a lawyer will negotiate on your behalf for the damages you deserve.
Our Personal Injury Lawyers in Honesdale Can Provide the Advice You Need
If you have been hurt by the negligent actions of another person, our Honesdale personal injury lawyer at Needle Law Firm can help ensure you receive the settlement you deserve. Call us now at 570-344-1266 or fill out our online form to schedule a free case review with one of our knowledgeable attorneys.