Moosic Personal Injury Lawyer
Serving Lackawanna County
In Moosic, personal injuries can be debilitating and life-threatening, and they can affect your ability to work and to live a normal life. These serious injuries can happen in many different ways, including in motor vehicle collisions, in dog bite incidents, while receiving care from a health care provider or at a nursing home, or a result of a property owner’s negligence that results in a dangerous slip and fall accident. No matter how you got hurt, an attorney at the Needle Law Firm can assess your case and provide you with more information about filing a claim for compensation. Contact our experienced Moosic personal injury lawyer today to discuss your case.
Steps in a Moosic Personal Injury Case
If you are considering the possibility of filing a personal injury case, you may be wondering about the steps you will need to take from actually filing the claim to negotiating a settlement offer to winning a lawsuit in court. The specific steps in a personal injury claim will depend upon the particular facts of your case, including whether or not you will be filing an insurance claim first. In general, you should expect the following steps in a personal injury case in Moosic or elsewhere in Lackawanna County:
- Determine whether you will file an insurance claim, or immediately move forward with a lawsuit;
- If you file an insurance claim, you will need to file the claim according to the requirements and any applicable timeline, and then negotiate with the insurance company to seek a reasonable settlement offer or payout;
- When an insurance claim does not result in a reasonable settlement, or an insurance claim is not possible, you will file your personal injury lawsuit, which you typically will need to do within two years from the date of your accident and injury;
- Go through the discovery phase in which your personal injury lawyer in Moosic will seek oral testimony evidence from the defendant and other parties, as well as evidence in the form of hard-copy and electronic documents, to support your lawsuit;
- Negotiate with the defendant for a reasonable settlement (you can accept a reasonable settlement at any point before the court returns a verdict or damages award);
- Go to trial, seeking compensatory damages for your losses and, if appropriate, punitive damages from the defendant if your accident resulted from egregiously reckless or intentionally harmful behavior.
Comparative Negligence in a Personal Injury Case in Moosic
Many people who are injured in an accident or as a result of another party’s negligence or wrongdoing in Moosic have concerns that they are partially at fault for their injuries. Under Pennsylvania’s comparative negligence law, a plaintiff can recover as long as they are not more than 50 percent at fault. As long as a plaintiff is 50 percent negligent or less, they can recover damages, but the award will be reduced by their portion of fault. Once a plaintiff is more than 50 percent negligent, they will be barred from recovery.
Contact the Needle Law Firm Today
An attorney at the Needle Law Firm is here to assist you with your personal injury case. Contact our experienced Moosic personal injury lawyer today to get started.