Stroudsburg Cancer Misdiagnosis Lawyer
Suffering from a medical condition, no matter what that condition is, can be upsetting and physically and emotionally taxing. And while most people trust their doctors’ conclusion regarding the diagnosis of their condition and treatment plan, doctors aren’t always correct. Receiving the wrong diagnosis can be extremely traumatic, and have negative health consequences, especially for more serious conditions like cancer. At the Needle Law Firm, our Stroudsburg cancer misdiagnosis lawyers will advocate for you if you are the victim of cancer misdiagnosis and have suffered harm as such.
Types of Cancer Misdiagnosis
There are dozens of different types of cancer, and correctly diagnosing a patient can prove difficult, but is very possible when the proper duty of care is exercised. Unfortunately, doctors sometimes make serious errors in cancer diagnosis. The three primary types of cancer misdiagnosis include:
- Diagnosing a patient with the wrong type of cancer. One mistake that a doctor may make it telling a patient that they have one type of cancer, when in reality, they are suffering from another cancer type.
- Diagnosing a patient with cancer. Another type of cancer misdiagnosis is diagnosing a patient with cancer when they do not have cancer at all, but are instead facing another, completely unrelated condition or disease.
- Failing to diagnose cancer at all. On the other end of the spectrum, a patient who is suffering from cancer may be diagnosed with something completely different, such as an autoimmune condition.
The Dangers of a Cancer Misdiagnosis
Misdiagnosis of a patient is extremely dangerous, especially when the disease in question is cancer. If the patient issuffering from cancer, it is critical that they begin relevant treatments immediately – if not, the cancer may very well spread and become more severe, threatening the patient’s life. Of course, if the patient is diagnosed with cancer and does not have said disease, they may be wrongfully subjected to harsh and invasive treatments for a condition they do not suffer from, all while their actual condition goes ignored.
Who’s Liable for a Cancer Misdiagnosis in Stroudsburg?
It can be difficult to understand why your cancer was misdiagnosed, especially with all of the tools and technology that doctors have available today. Some of the common causes of cancer misdiagnosis include:
- Incorrect interpretation of test results;
- Failure to order appropriate tests of proper diagnosis;
- Failure to refer a patient to a specialist;
- Incorrect identification of cancer cell (different cancer cells can look similar); and
- Failure to review all of a patient’s symptoms.
When a doctor makes one of the following errors, and the error leads to a cancer misdiagnosis, they may be held liable for harm suffered by the patient if the patient can prove that the doctor breached the medical standard of care owed to them. The medical standard of care is that degree of care which another doctor of similar education and training would exercise in the same situation.
Call Our Cancer Misdiagnosis Attorneys Today
Being misdiagnosed is traumatic, especially when the misdiagnosed condition is one as serious as cancer. At the law offices of the Needle Law Firm, our Stroudsburg cancer misdiagnosis attorneys care about helping you recover compensation for the full extent of harm you have suffered. For your free consultation with our law firm, please call us today or send us a message describing your misdiagnosis and we will get in touch with you shortly.