Stroudsburg Nursing Home Neglect Lawyer
Today, about 5 percent of the United States’ population lives in nursing homes. As our nation’s population ages, the number of people living in nursing homes and assisted living facilities will continue to rise.
Nursing home residents live in these facilities because they do not have the physical or mental capacity to live on their own. We trust skilled caregivers to provide our loved ones with day-to-day care, but the difficult reality to face is that in many nursing homes across the nation, abuse and neglect happen. Often, neglect happens because facilities are short-staffed. But regardless of why it happens, it has disastrous effects on residents when it happens. If you feel your loved one is facing nursing home neglect, step in to help him or her now by reaching out to the experienced Stroudsburg nursing home neglect lawyers right away.
What is Nursing Home Neglect?
Nursing home neglect is a failure on the caregiver’s part to provide a nursing home resident with an adequate level of care. Neglect can happen in any facet of a resident’s care, such as:
- Failure to notice medical symptoms and provide prompt medical care;
- Failure to provide the resident with appropriate social and mental stimulation for his or her cognitive ability;
- Failure to provide the resident with fresh, clean water;
- Failure to provide the resident with nutritious food;
- Failure to bathe the resident on an adequate schedule; and
- Failure to clean the resident’s room.
Nursing Home Neglect Damages
Neglect can have many long-term effects on a victim. A few of these include:
- Subjecting him or her to dehydration and its health effects;
- Exacerbating the resident’s chronic conditions;
- Causing the victim to suffer psychological harm;
- Putting the victim at risk of developing new health conditions; and
- Shortening the victim’s life.
How to Pursue Compensation for your Loved One’s Nursing Home Neglect Damages
In Pennsylvania, reports of nursing home neglect are handled by the Pennsylvania Department of Aging. You can call the department’s 24-hour hotline to report your suspicions of abuse or neglect.
Reporting your loved one’s neglect to the Pennsylvania Department of Aging is the first step toward recovering compensation for his or her damages. The next is to discuss your case with an experienced nursing home neglect lawyer to discuss filing a civil claim to pursue the compensation. You can recover compensation for your loved one regardless of whether the facility is cited for a violation – you must simply prove that your loved one’s damages were the direct result of the facility’s negligence. Your lawyer can help you build and pursue this type of case.
Work with an Experienced Stroudsburg Nursing Home Neglect Lawyer
When your loved one’s caretakers neglect him or her and cause him or her to suffer damages, be your loved one’s advocate by pursuing compensation for those damages with the aid of an experienced nursing home neglect lawyer. To get started on your claim, contact our team at Needle Law Firm today to schedule your initial consultation in our office.