Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Scranton Personal Injury Lawyer > Blog > Personal Injury > How and Who Will Pay Your Medical Bills After a Car Accident in Pennsylvania?

How and Who Will Pay Your Medical Bills After a Car Accident in Pennsylvania?


As medical bills continue to mount following a car crash, you have plenty of things to worry about: getting medical care, worrying about your inability to earn a living, paying for your medical expenses… But who is going to pay your medical bills after a car accident in Pennsylvania?

Will Your Auto Insurance Cover Your Medical Bills After a Car Accident?

In Pennsylvania, drivers can choose between “full tort” and “limited tort” auto insurance policies. While limited tort insurance refers to no-fault policies that cover your own medical bills regardless of fault, full tort insurance allows the insured to file a lawsuit against the at-fault party to obtain compensation for their medical expenses.

Will Your Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Insurance Cover Your Medical Bills?

In Pennsylvania, every insurance policy provides at least $5,000 in Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage. PIP benefits can be used to pay your medical bills by filing a first-party insurance claim regardless of who was at fault. These benefits will cover not only medical bills but also loss of income and certain other expenses stemming from your car accident.

Unfortunately, PIP benefits will not pay for all your damages and losses. Often, the only way to recover these damages is to pursue a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault party who caused or contributed to your auto accident.

What to Do if Your Medical Bills Exceed Your PIP Coverage in Pennsylvania?

When you have exhausted your PIP coverage following a car crash in Scranton or other parts of Pennsylvania, your health insurance coverage will most likely cover the remaining costs. However, if the other party was responsible for causing the crash, you have the option to file a claim against the at-fault driver to recover the remaining medical expenses, deductibles, and other expenses unless you fall into an exception to Limited Tort coverage.

If you have limited tort, it may not be possible to obtain compensation for all your losses and damages stemming from your accident. While limited tort coverage costs less than full tort, it limits your compensation through a civil lawsuit (tort). Particularly, limited tort coverage sets a limit on your non-economic damages, including pain and suffering.

Full tort coverage, meanwhile, allows you to pursue a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault party to recover both economic and non-economic damages, including pain and suffering. However, as you may have guessed, you have to pay a higher premium for full tort in Pennsylvania.

However, you may still be able to seek compensation for your medical expenses and other economic damages from the at-fault party after your car accident. It is advised to consult with a skilled auto accident attorney in Scranton to help you obtain the compensation you deserve.

Contact our experienced Scranton auto accident lawyers at Needle Law Firm to receive a free consultation. Call at 570-344-1266 to discuss your particular case and help you obtain compensation for your medical bills.


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
MileMark Media

© 2021 - 2024 Needle Law Firm. All rights reserved.
This law firm website and legal marketing are managed by MileMark Media.